[Python-mode] underscore syntax

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Nov 29 20:10:58 CET 2008

    Diez> I don't think that's a python-mode issue - rather emacs behaves
    Diez> differently. Dunno how to change that though.

    Diez> My emacs doesn't stop at underscores. Regardless of
    Diez> python-mode-age.

>From a comment in python-mode.el:

  ;; For historical reasons, underscore is word class instead of
  ;; symbol class.  GNU conventions say it should be symbol class, but
  ;; there's a natural conflict between what major mode authors want
  ;; and what users expect from `forward-word' and `backward-word'.
  ;; Guido and I have hashed this out and have decided to keep
  ;; underscore in word class.  If you're tempted to change it, try
  ;; binding M-f and M-b to py-forward-into-nomenclature and
  ;; py-backward-into-nomenclature instead.  This doesn't help in all
  ;; situations where you'd want the different behavior
  ;; (e.g. backward-kill-word).

I don't know if the "I" referenced here is Barry or Tim.

Skip