Making 'compiled' modules work with multiple python versions on Linux

Left Right olegsivokon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 11:37:06 EDT 2024

It sounds weird that symbols from Limited API are _missing_ (I'd
expect them to be there no matter what library version you link with).
But, I haven't done this myself, so, what do I know?  It would help
though to see the actual error.

That aside: why do you want to do this? One side effect of doing what
you want will be the "weird" name of your wheel archive. Weird in a
sense that virtually nobody does that.  And when virtually nobody does
something, you are almost guaranteed to be the first to find bugs, and
then be the one whose bug reports are shoved into the backlog and
never looked at again.

You, kind of, are already walking into the world of pain trying to
make Python binary packages, and then you also want them to be
cross-platform, and then you want them to be usable by different
versions of Python... Unless it's for your own amusement, I'd just
have a package per version of Python. Maintenance-wise it's going to
be a lot easier.