the name ``wheel''

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Mar 22 16:24:34 EDT 2024

On 3/22/24 11:45, Barry via Python-list wrote:

>> On 22 Mar 2024, at 15:25, Gilmeh Serda via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Many if not most Linux distributions do not include pip by default.
>>
>> Really? It came with Manjaro.
>
> Debian and Ubuntu require you to install pip as a separate package.
> Also puts venv in its own package.
>
> Fedora leaves all the batteries intact and rhel I assume.

pip is still a separate package in the .rpm world. which makes sense on
a couple of levels:

* pip releases on its own cycle, you wouldn't want to have to *force* a
new release of python + python-libs + python-devel + maybe others, if
you happened want to rev pip forward independently.

* in a distro-packaged world, that's the primary place you get your
Python packages from, and pip isn't seen as being as necessary, and
potentially even as destructive. How many times have you seen an article
that suggests you "sudo pip install randompackage"? Many distro setups
now disallow installing like that. If you know what you're doing, and
particularly if you're happy to control a specific environment by
setting up a virtualenv, then fine, you'll still have access to
everything you need.

anyway, I seem to recall the original message (which I've since deleted)
was asking about Windows anyway.  There it's quite unusual to end up
without pip, but not so unusual to end up without the *command* named
pip - search path things, and all that. Usually if you "py -m pip
--version" you'll see it's actually installed, just not accessible using
the current search path.