Python 3.12.1, Windows 11: shebang line #!/usr/bin/env python3 doesn't work any more

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Jan 15 17:55:44 EST 2024

On 1/15/24 12:01, Thomas Passin via Python-list wrote:
> On 1/15/2024 1:26 PM, Mats Wichmann via Python-list wrote:
>> On 1/15/24 09:44, Sibylle Koczian via Python-list wrote:
>>
>>> First and foremost I want to understand why I'm seeing this:
>>>
>>> - Python scripts with "/usr/bin/env python3" as shebang line work as
>>> expected on a computer with Windows 10 and Python 3.11.5. They have
>>> worked for years on this machine, using either the latest Python or
>>> one version before (depending on availability of some packages).
>>> There is a virtual machine with ArchLinux on the same machine and
>>> some of the scripts are copies from that.
>>>
>>> - I've got a second computer with Windows 11 and I installed Python
>>> 3.12.1 on it. After copying some scripts from my first computer I
>>> found that I couldn't start them: not by entering the script name in
>>> a console, not using py.exe, not double clicking in the explorer.
>>> Entering <full_path_to_python.exe>\python <scriptname> probably
>>> worked - I think I tried that too, but I'm not really sure, because
>>> that's really not practical.
>>>
>>> In the Python documentation for versions 3.11 and 3.12 I found no
>>> differences regarding py.exe and shebang lines.
>>>
>>> Then I removed the "/env" from the shebang lines and could start the
>>> scripts from the second computer. That certainly is a solution, but
>>> why???
>>
>> It's because of Windows itself.  The default nowadays is that
>> irritating little stub that prompts you to go install Python from the
>> WIndows store.  When you use the "env" form, it looks for python (or
>> python3 in your case) in the PATH *first* and you'll get a hit.   Mine
>> looks like:
>>
>> C:\Users\mats\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindwsApps\python.exe and
>> python3.exe
>>
>> you can check what it's doing for you by using the "where" command in
>> a windows shell.
>>
>> On your older Windows 10 machine you either never had that stub - I
>> don't know when it was added, maybe someone from Microsoft listening
>> here knows - or it's been superseded by changes to the PATH, or
>> something.  On my fairly new Win 11 box the base of that path is early
>> in the user portion of PATH, so that must be a default.
>>
>> py.exe without the "/usr/bin/env" magic doesn't put PATH searching
>> first, according to that snip from the docs that's been posted here
>> several times., so you shouldn't fall down that particular rathole.
>
> Python from the App Store is not the same as Python from python.org:

yes. this question is about the python.org distribution. but, Windows
natively has something called python.exe and python3.exe which is
interfering here, IF the python.org install isn't directed to put itself
into the path, AND if the "#!/usr/bin/env python3" form is used, causing
a search in PATH, which is the setup Sibylle has described, unless I've
misunderstood details.