Extract lines from file, add to new files

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Mon Jan 15 04:37:15 EST 2024

On 15/01/24 21:13, Greg Ewing via Python-list wrote:
> On 15/01/24 1:54 pm, dn wrote:
>> Soon after, Wirth simplified rather than expanded, and developed Pascal.
>
> Before Pascal there was Algol-W, which Wirth invented as a rebellion
> against how complicated Algol 68 was becoming.
>
>> When I first saw this I was stunned, then attracted to its simplicity,
>> but then steered-away once realised that it needed 'more' to cope with
>> 'the outside world'.
>
> Pascal was intended as a teaching language, and as such it was lacking
> in practicality in a few spots. But it didn't need much tweaking to
> make it a very useful language. UCSD Pascal, Turbo Pascal, Delphi, etc.
> enjoyed a lot of popularity. A variant of UCSD was the main language
> for Macintosh application development for a number of years.

Ironically, I didn't come across Pascal as a teaching-language.

Borland were trying to turn Turbo Pascal into a practical development
environment, beyond teaching (as with others of their 'Turbo' series).
As I say, it didn't float my business-world boat.
- not before I won a case a wine from Philippe Kahn's own vineyard for
solving some 'interview question' and exchanging jokes with him, in
French, at some Trade Show in London. Two surprises: one, that it
actually turned-up a few weeks later, and two, that I (suddenly) had so
many friends!

Ah, the good, old days...

--
Regards,