Extract lines from file, add to new files

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 14:06:27 EST 2024

Chris,

It gets frustrating when people demand too much when strictly speaking, it
is not really needed or may cause new problems.

How often do you really think anyone out there NEEDS to define a function in
the context mentioned?

You provided a way to create an anonymous function and that was not enough.
I wonder if you could throw in the new := walrus operator to similarly make
a named lambda function in a similar way.

And, in any case, you can make a function factory that returns a function
and call that function with appropriate arguments that might then create a
wide variety of functions by doing the def within.

Languages are tools and need not be the end-all for all people. You do not
want the language to get so complex that programmers do not have any idea
what valid code does. Consider the mess in multiple inheritance and trying
to figure out which of many classes will be the one where a method is
finally called using some diamond algorithm. It is both extremely powerful
but also silly to overuse such features.

Avi