Extract lines from file, add to new files

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Thu Jan 11 23:34:56 EST 2024

On 12/01/24 12:56, Chris Angelico via Python-list wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 at 08:56, Left Right via Python-list
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> By the way, in an attempt to golf this problem, I discovered this,
>> which seems like a parser problem:
>
> When you jump immediately to "this is a bug", all you do is make

"seems"!

but yes, it is a (much) less-likely explanation.

> yourself look like an idiot. Unsurprisingly, this is NOT a bug, this
> is simply that you didn't understand what was going on. The grammar
> isn't easy to read, and it's usually better to read the documentation
> instead.

Those of us who studied Computer Science may well have been
taught/expected to learn how to read [modified] BNF - indeed to have
worked in that (cf coding in Python).

Accordingly, the English text is likely easier to understand, but
sometimes the BNF offers finer-detail or can be used to clarify some
mis- or insufficiently-understood aspect of the text. IMHO/YMMV/etc...

> (Plus, golfing isn't really a goal in Python, and you didn't  shorten
> the code by much at all. Good job.)

I took my hat off to the poster, being prepared to dive-in and do this.
Accordingly, was more than happy to help set him/her back onto 'the
straight and narrow'.

(yes it was a BNF-failing - which, credit where credit's due, I think
was realised at the same time as response was typed)

How many others just want us to do all their thinking for them?
(there's a rude comment about wiping noses - but probably a step too far
wrt the CoC)

--
Regards,
=dn