Python 3.12.1, Windows 11: shebang line #!/usr/bin/env python3 doesn't work any more

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Tue Jan 9 06:36:03 EST 2024

> On 7 Jan 2024, at 15:09, Sibylle Koczian via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>
> Oh, and the two Windows and Python versions are on two different computers.
>
> Will remove the "/env" from my shebang lines, even if I don't understand what's happening.

Thanks for the details.

Only thing I can think of is that "python" may be defaulting to mean python 2.
If you use "#!/usr/bin/env python3" it may work on both.

Did you creates a py.ini file to configure py.exe?

See if you have %userappdata%\py.ini on either windows 10 or windows 11.
If so what is its contents?

I've tried with and without a py.ini and cannot duplicate what you see.

Barry