Using my routines as functions AND methods

Alan Gauld learn2program at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 20:00:54 EST 2024

On 03/01/2024 22:47, Guenther Sohler via Python-list wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my cpython i have written quite some functions to modify "objects".
> and their python syntax is e.g.\
>
> translate(obj, vec). e.g whereas obj is ALWAYS first argument.

> However, I also want to use these functions as class methods without having
> write the function , twice. When using the SAME function as a methos, the
> args tuple must insert/contain "self" in the first location, so i have
> written a function to do that:

I'm probably missing something obvious here but can't you
just assign your function to a class member?

def myFunction(obj, ...): ...

class MyClass:
    myMethod = myFunction

Then you can call it as

myObject = MyClass()
myObject.myMethod()

A naive example seems to work but I haven't tried anything
complex so there is probably a catch. But sometimes the simple
things just work?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site