Python 3.12.1, Windows 11: shebang line #!/usr/bin/env python3 doesn't work any more

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Wed Jan 3 11:54:25 EST 2024

> On 2 Jan 2024, at 17:24, Thomas Passin via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>
> You might learn about this if you happen to read and remember the right part of the Python docs.  Otherwise you have no idea what py.exe is up to nor how it does it.  I would say that most people don't know there's an ini file, let alone what it can do.  Of course this situation isn't unique to py.exe!

On discuss.python.org we will share the link to the python windows docs and
often to this specific section: https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html#python-launcher-for-windows

To create a py.ini does require a user to understand what %localappdata% means.
Some windows users, reasonable, do not use the CLI and know about that syntax for environment variables.

Barry