Python 3.12.1, Windows 11: shebang line #!/usr/bin/env python3 doesn't work any more

Sibylle Koczian nulla.epistola at web.de
Mon Jan 1 06:02:14 EST 2024

Am 30.12.2023 um 04:04 schrieb Mike Dewhirst via Python-list:

> I had assumed the OP had installed Python from the Microsoft shop and
> that's where py.exe must have come from.

In fact I didn't say in my post that I always get Python from
python.org. When I started to use the language there was no Python from
any Microsoft shop (I'm not sure there was a Microsoft shop, it was in
the last millenium, Python 1.5 or 1.6). So I tend to forget that
possible download source.

But in all this thread I didn't see a single explanation for my current
situation: one and the same shebang line works on Windows 10 / Python
3.11 and doesn't work on Windows 11 / Python 3.12. I suspect Windows,
because a change in the way Python 3.12 uses shebang lines should be
visible in the documentation.

Happy new year to all!
Sibylle