upgrade of pip on my python 2.7 version

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Sep 27 15:32:19 EDT 2023

On 9/27/23 05:17, Zuri Shaddai Kuchipudi via Python-list wrote:
> hello everyone this the error that im getting while trying to install and upgrade pip on what is the solution for it?
>
> C:\repository\pst-utils-pc-davinci-simulator>pip install
> You are using pip version 7.0.1, however version 23.2.1 is available.
> You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
> You must give at least one requirement to install (see "pip help install")
>
> C:\repository\pst-utils-pc-davinci-simulator>pip install --upgrade pip
> You are using pip version 7.0.1, however version 23.2.1 is available.
> You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.
> Collecting pip
>    Using cached https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/ba/19/e63fb4e0d20e48bd2167bb7e857abc0e21679e24805ba921a224df8977c0/pip-23.2.1.tar.gz
>      Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
>      Traceback (most recent call last):
>        File "<string>", line 20, in <module>
>        File "c:\users\kuchipz\appdata\local\temp\pip-build-gc4ekm\pip\setup.py", line 7
>          def read(rel_path: str) -> str:
>                           ^
>      SyntaxError: invalid syntax

PyPI *should* be returning a compatible version of pip to upgrade to.
pip itself has long since dropped support for 2.7, and the version
you're trying to force is pretty clear:

pip 23.2.1

Meta
License: MIT License (MIT)
Author: The pip developers
Requires: Python >=3.7
Classifiers
     Development Status
         5 - Production/Stable
     Intended Audience
         Developers
     License
         OSI Approved :: MIT License
     Programming Language
         Python
         Python :: 3
         Python :: 3 :: Only

So "don't do that".

Why it's trying to select an incompatible version when you ask to
upgrade is not something I'd like to speculate on, for me personally
that's a surprise.  Maybe something else you did before?

Also make sure you're using a pip that matches your Python. It's usually
safer if you invoke it as:

python -m pip install --upgrade pip

(or whatever the precise name of your Python 2 interpreter actually is)