PEP668 / pipx and "--editable" installs

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Mon Sep 18 15:38:19 EDT 2023

On 9/18/2023 2:56 PM, c.buhtz--- via Python-list wrote:
> On 2023-09-18 10:16 "Peter J. Holzer via Python-list"
> <python-list at python.org> wrote:
>> On 2023-09-15 14:15:23 +0000, c.buhtz--- via Python-list wrote:
>>> I tried to install it via "pipx install -e .[develop]". It's
>>> pyproject.toml has a bug: A missing dependency "dateutil". But
>>> "dateutil" is not available from PyPi for Python 3.11 (the default
>>> in Debian 12). But thanks to great Debian they have a
>>> "python3-dateutil" package. I installed it.
>>
>> This can be installed via pip:
>
> I'm aware of this. But this is not the question.
>
> I would like to know and understand why my via "pipx" installed package
> "hyperorg" is not able to see the systems packages installed via "apt
> install python3-dateutils"?
>
> Is this the usual behavior? Is this correct?
> What is the design decision behind it?
>
> Is it really the intention of PEP668 that pipx-installed packages are
> not allowed to use system packages?

One way this could happen is if the hyperorg package got installed by a
different version of Python than the system version.  I've lost track of
just how your installation is set up so this may not apply.  But, for
example, if the system is using Python 3.10.x and you installed hyperorg
using Python 3.11, that would be such a situation.  The apt-installed
packages will get installed into the system python directories, rather
than to the Python 3.11 directories.