Passing info to function used in re.sub

Jan Erik Moström lists at mostrom.pp.se
Sun Sep 3 12:10:29 EDT 2023

I'm looking for some advice for how to write this in a clean way

I want to replace some text using a regex-pattern, but before creating replacement text I need to some file checking/copying etc. My code right now look something like this:

def fix_stuff(m):
	# Do various things that involves for info
	# that what's available in m
	replacement_text = m.group(1) + global_var1 + global_var2
	return replacement_text

and the call comes here

global_var1 = "bla bla"
global_var2 = "pff"

new_text = re.sub(im_pattern,fix_stuff,md_text)

The "problem" is that I've currently written some code that works but it uses global variables ... and I don't like global variables. I assume there is a better way to write this, but how?

= jem