Question(s)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Oct 27 04:17:51 EDT 2023

On 25/10/23 2:32 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Error correcting memory, redundant systems, and human
> monitoring, plus the ability to rewrite the guidance software on the
> fly if they needed to.

Although the latter couldn't actually be done with the AGC,
as the software was in ROM. They could poke values into RAM
to change its behaviour to some extent, and that got them out
of trouble a few times, but they couldn't patch the code.

It might have been possible with the Gemini computer, since
it loaded its code from tape. I don't know if it was ever
done, though.

--
Greg