Question(s)

Dan Purgert dan at djph.net
Thu Oct 26 17:42:28 EDT 2023

On 2023-10-26, o1bigtenor wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 10:19 AM Michael Torrie via Python-list
><python-list at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/25/23 05:51, o1bigtenor via Python-list wrote:
>> > Looks like I have another area to investigate. (grin!)
>> > Any suggestions?
>>
>> Seems to me you're trying to run before you have learned to walk.
>>
>> Slow down, go to the beginning and just learn python, write some code,
>> see if it runs.  Go through the tutorial at
>> https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html
>
> Interesting - - - -  ". . . see if it runs." - - - that's the issue!
> When the code is accessing sensors there isn't an easy way to
> check that the code is working until one has done the all of the
> physical construction. If I'm trying to control a pulsation system
> using square waves with distinct needs for timing etc I hadn't
> seen any way of 'stepping through the code' (phrase you use later).

You use a hardware debugger then ... and if you're talking hardware,
chances are you're also not talking Python (yes, yes, I know
"CircuitPython" is a thing, or was it MicroPython?)

> [...]
> Even in maker threads - - - say for arduino - - its 'use this cut and
> paste method of programming' with no mention of any kind of ide when
> it was microPython - - although being a subset of python it Idle may
> not work with it.

Bearing in mind, of course, that "Arduino" is basically "Programming for
dummies" level of stuff usually (i.e. people just getting their feet
wet).  It's meant to be a relatively "easy" introduction for students /
hobbiests / non-programmers into the world of programming for
microcontrollers.

> [...]
> My problem is that I'm needing to move quite quickly from 'hello, world' to
> something quite a bit more complex. Most of the instruction stuff I've run
> into assumes that one is programming only for the joy of learning to
> program where I've got things I want to do and - - - sadly - - - they're
> not sorta like the run of the mill stuff.

Sounds like you've been reading instructables :)

--
|_|O|_|