Question(s)

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:07:47 EDT 2023

I am replying to this which is heading into another topic:

"(Tongue in cheek) Except doesn't one make more $$$$ when software in
hidden in an unreadable state? (That forces the user to go back to the
original dev or group - - yes?)"

Like some of us, I come from a time when much software was compiled. Sure, you could play interactively with the BASIC interpreter, but much else could be delivered to you as an executable and it was not easy to know what it did without trying it and certainly it was not easy to make changes to it and resell it as your own.

Where does python fit in?

On the one hand, it is completely visible as the software and modules you use tend to be stored on the machine being used in a readable state. If you come up with some nifty algorithm, it is there for anyone to see and copy or even alter if they have permissions. You can freely search a corpus of code to pick up interesting tidbits and that can be a plus but if your livelihood is based on selling your code or services, ...

So do some people do things to make that harder? Can you deliver only files already converted to bytecode, for example? Could you have an interpreter that has special changes such as being able to take encrypted code and decrypt before using or perhaps have read privileges that normal users will not have?

Obviously if your code is on a server that users can only access indirectly and in a controlled manner, this is not as much of an issue.

I will skip the anecdotes, but point out how sometimes compiled code may have a whole bunch of other problems, including when a user can sneak in your office and modify the source code behind your back or when a virus can insert itself.

So to return to the main point, not that I am selling anything, what do developers using Python do to try to make sure they get properly paid and others do not just use their work without permission?