Too Broad of an exception

rsutton rsutton43 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 25 10:19:43 EDT 2023

Hi all,
I am fairly new to python (ie < 2 years).  I have a question about
pylint.  I am running on windows 10/11, python 3.10.11.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
I am using robocopy to to copy a set of files to/from a LAN location and
my desktop(s).  Here is the partial code:

p = subprocess.run(["robocopy.exe",
             STORE_LOCATION, NEWS_LOCATION,
             "/NFL", "/NDL", "/NJH", "/NJS", "/NP", "/XF",
"msgFilterRules.dat",
             "xmsgFilterRules.dat"], check=False)

         # this is necessary because Windows Robocopy returns
         # various return codes for success.
         if p.returncode >= 8:
             raise Exception(f'Invalid result: {p.returncode}')

It actually runs fine.  But pylint is not having it.  I get:

win_get_put_tb_filters.py:61:12: W0719: Raising too general exception:
Exception (broad-exception-raised)

But the code I have written does exactly what I want.  If the returncode
is 7 or less, then I have success.  If the returncode is 8 or above
there is a failure and I want to see what the returncode is.

Trying to read the python Exception docs is mind bending.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Richard