Running a subprocess in a venv

Johannes Findeisen mailman at hanez.org
Sat Oct 21 09:49:38 EDT 2023

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:01:18 -0400
Larry Martell via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:

> I have a python script, and from that I want to run another script in
> a subprocess in a venv. What is the best way to do that? I could write
> a file that activates the venv then runs the script, then run that
> file, but that seems messy. Is there a better way?

How do you do that? It sounds messy but not wrong...

I would activate the venv and then run my Python script. In the Python
script you can call another python script in a subprocess like this:

import sys
import subprocess

# https://docs.python.org/3/library/subprocess.html#popen-constructor
proc = subprocess.Popen([sys.executable, "/path/to/an/otherscript.py"])

# https://docs.python.org/3/library/subprocess.html#popen-objects
# Do your process communication/handling... proc.communicate(),
# proc.wait(), proc.terminate(), proc.kill() etc.

Is this the answer you are looking for?

Detailed docs: https://docs.python.org/3/library/subprocess.html

Regards,
Johannes