Newline (NuBe Question)

Michael F. Stemper michael.stemper at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 09:32:24 EST 2023

On 24/11/2023 21.45, avi.e.gross at gmail.com wrote:
> Grizz[l]y,
>
> I think the point is not about a sorted list or sorting in general It is
> about reasons why maintaining a data structure such as a list in a program
> can be useful beyond printing things once. There are many possible examples
> such as having a list of lists containing a record where the third item is a
> GPA for the student and writing a little list comprehension that selects a
> smaller list containing only students who are Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum
> Laude.
>
> studs = [
>    ["Peter", 82, 3.53],
>    ["Paul", 77, 2.83],
>    ["Mary", 103, 3.82]
> ]

I've seen Mary, and she didn't look like a "stud" to me.

> Of course, for serious work, some might suggest avoiding constructs like a
> list of lists and switch to using modules and data structures [...]

Those who would recommend that approach do not appear to include Mr.
Rossum, who said:

   Avoid overengineering data structures. Tuples are better than
   objects (try namedtuple too though). Prefer simple fields over
   getter/setter functions... Built-in datatypes are your friends.
   Use more numbers, strings, tuples, lists, sets, dicts. Also
   check out the collections library, eps. deque.[1]

I was nodding along with the people saying "list of lists" until I
reread this quote. A list of tuples seems most appropriate to me.

[1] <https://gist.github.com/hemanth/3715502>, as quoted by Bill
Lubanovic in _Introducing Python_

--
Michael F. Stemper