Checking if email is valid

rbowman bowman at montana.com
Mon Nov 6 19:18:00 EST 2023

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:11:18 +1300, Greg Ewing wrote:

> On 6/11/23 6:34 pm, rbowman wrote:
>> We've found even if you directly ask the user often the answer is 'I
>> dunno' or some mythology they have constructed to explain the problem.
>
> This seems to apply to hardware issues as well. Louis Rossmann has a
> philosophy of "Never believe what the customer tells you."

Truer words... A customer called to report an industrial dielectric heater
wasn't putting out full power. First question was 'Did you check the
fuses?' since it was three phase but if you blew one leg it would still
operate on reduced power. He assured me he had. I went through the rest of
the common problems with no solution so the next day I flew out to the
plant. I replaced the 30 amp fuse and all was good. The customer had a
very expensive lesson in how to check fuses.

At least with software you don't have to physically appear on site.