Checking if email is valid

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Mon Nov 6 13:45:41 EST 2023

On 11/6/23 08:23, Jon Ribbens via Python-list wrote:
> On 2023-11-06, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
>> On 11/6/23 01:57, Simon Connah via Python-list wrote:
>>> The thing I truly hate is when you have two telephone number fields.
>>> One for landline and one for mobile. I mean who in hell has a
>>> landline these days?
>>
>> People who live in places with spotty, or no, mobile coverage. We do
>> exist.
>
> Catering for people in minority situations is, of course, important.
>
> Catering for people in the majority situation is probably important too.

A good experience would do both, in a comfortable way for either.

Continuing with the example, if you have a single phone number field, or
let a mobile number be entered in a field marked for landline, you will
probably assume you can text to that number.  I see this all the time on
signups that are attempting to provide some sort of 2FA - I enter the
landline number and the website tries to text a verification code to it
(rather have an authenticator app for 2FA anyway, but that's a different
argument)

Suggests maybe labeling should be something like:

* Number you want to be called on
* Number for texted security messages, if different

Never seen that, though :-)