Checking if email is valid

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 14:58:30 EST 2023

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 at 02:05, Jon Ribbens via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> That was another thing that I used to find ridiculous, but seems to have
> improved somewhat in recent years - website error pages that said "please
> contact us to let us know about this error". I'm sorry, what? You want
> me to contact you to tell you about what your own website is doing? How
> does that make any sense? Websites should be self-reporting problems.

Actually, I think those serve a very important purpose. The reports
are almost certainly being discarded unread; the value of such a
reporting system is to give the user the sensation that they've "done
something" to "help". It makes some people feel better about running
into a bug.

But you're right, they serve little purpose in solving web site problems.

ChrisA