Checking if email is valid

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 12:34:25 EST 2023

On 2023-11-05, D'Arcy Cain via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:
> On 2023-11-05 00:39, Grant Edwards via Python-list wrote:
>> Definitely. Syntactic e-mail address "validation" is one of the most
>> useless and widely broken things on the Interwebs.  People who do
>> anything other than require an '@' (and optionally make you enter the
>> same @-containing string twice) are deluding themselves.
>
> And don't get me started on phone number validation.

I can see how the truley dim-witted might forget that other countries
have phone numbers with differing lengths and formatting/punctuation,
but there are tons of sites where it takes multiple tries when
entering even a bog-standard USA 10-0digit phone nubmer because they
are completely flummuxed by an area code in parens or hyphens in the
usual places (or lack of hyhpens in the usual places). This stuff
isn't that hard, people...

> The most annoying thing to me, though, is sites that reject names
> that have an apostrophe in them.  I hate being told that my name,
> that I have been using for over seventy years, is invalid.
>
> OK, now that I am started, what else?  Oh yah.  Look at your credit
> card.  The number has spaces in it.  Why do I have to remove them.  If
> you don't like them then you are a computer, just remove them.

Indeed. There is a tiny but brightly burning kernel of hate in my
heart for web sites (and their developers) that refuse to accept
credit card numbers entered with spaces _as_they_are_shown_on_the_card_!

I've concluded that using PHP causes debilitating and irreversible
brain damage.

--
Grant