pip/pip3 confusion and keeping up to date

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Nov 2 06:58:00 EDT 2023

I have a couple of systems which used to have python2 as well as
python3 but as Ubuntu and Debian verions have moved on they have
finally eliminated all dependencies on python2.

So they now have only python3 and there is no python executable in
PATH.

There's still both /usr/bin/pip and /usr/bin/pip3 but they're
identical so presuably I can now simply use pip and it will be a
python3 pip.

So, going on from this, how do I do the equivalent of "apt update; apt
upgrade" for my globally installed pip packages?

--
Chris Green
·