What to use instead of nntplib?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon May 22 19:59:23 EDT 2023

On 2023-05-22, Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u at gmail.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that nntplib isn't being erased from reality,
> it's merely being removed from the set of modules that are provided
> by default.
>
> I presume that once it's removed from the core, it will still be
> possible to install it via pip or some other mechanism.

If somebody rescues the code and puts it in Pypi (assuming the
copyright owner allows that). IIRC, somebody is trying to do that, but
there some contention because Pypi won't allow the use of the name
"nntplib" for the package because it conflicts with a library builtin.

>     import warnings
>     warnings.filterwarnings("ignore", category=DeprecationWarning)
>     import nntplib

Yep, thanks. That at least prevents the warning from messing up my
slrn screen. :)

> If my understanding is correct, why is this such a big problem?

It's not a "big" problem, but something that "just worked" with any
Python installation now requires that the user install an extra
package. If they don't already have pip, then they have to install
that first. And then they have to do it again, because the first time
they installed pip for the wrong version of python. [I don't really
get how that happens, but there seem to be a constant stream of
postings from people with that problem.]

--
Grant