txtorcon 23.5.0

Jack Dangler tdldev at gmail.com
Fri May 19 08:18:20 EDT 2023

On 5/19/23 06:41, Benjamin Schollnick wrote:
> Meejah,  > > Sorry, but, would you please consider adding a short description
to this of what txtorcon is. > It’s great that your announcing the
update, and highlighting the changes…if I used it, I’d be upgrading it.
 > > But I have absolutely no idea why I would want to investigate using
it, because there is no description of the package. > > Well, that’s not
100% true. From my knowledge of twisted, I know it’s network based, and
that’s it. I can’t tell if it’s a server, or client application. > >
Even just simply adding your 10,000 feet summary: > > txtorcon is an
implementation of the control-spec
<https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/control-spec.txt>
for Tor <https://www.torproject.org/> using the Twisted
<https://twistedmatrix.com/trac> networking library for Python
<http://python.org/>. > > would have been extremely helpful. > > I hope
you will take this as the creative criticism that I am offering it as. >
 > - Benjamin > > >> On May 18, 2023, at 9:37 PM, meejah at meejah.ca
wrote: >> >>
> I'm happy to announce txtorcon 23.5.0 with the following changes:
>
>  * twisted.web.client.Agent instances now use the same HTTPS policy
>    by default as twisted.web.client.Agent.  It is possible to
>    override this policy with the tls_context_factory= argument, the
>    equivalent to Agent's contextFactory=
>    (Thanks to Itamar Turner-Trauring)
>  * Added support + testing for Python 3.11.
>  * No more ipaddress dependency
>
> You can download the release from PyPI or GitHub (or of
> course "pip install txtorcon"):
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/txtorcon/23.5.0
> https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon/releases/tag/v23.5.0
>
> Releases are also available from the hidden service:
>
> http://fjblvrw2jrxnhtg67qpbzi45r7ofojaoo3orzykesly2j3c2m3htapid.onion/txtorcon-23.5.0.tar.gz
> http://fjblvrw2jrxnhtg67qpbzi45r7ofojaoo3orzykesly2j3c2m3htapid.onion/txtorcon-23.5.0.tar.gz.asc
>
> You can verify the sha256sum of both by running the following 4 lines
> in a shell wherever you have the files downloaded:
>
> cat <<EOF | sha256sum --check
> 93fd80a9dd505f698d0864fe93db8b6a9c1144b5feb91530820b70ed8982651c
> dist/txtorcon-23.5.0.tar.gz
> 987f0a91184f98cc3f0a7eccaa42f5054063744d6ac15e325cfa666403214208
> dist/txtorcon-23.5.0-py3-none-any.whl
> EOF
>
> thanks,
> meejah
>> --  >> https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list >

*Top-posting? Really?

Actually, a very cursory look through the intarweb would have yielded
this -

https://txtorcon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/introduction.html

as well as this -

https://github.com/meejah/txtorcon

While there are one or two graphical package managers (yumex and
yumex-dnf that I know of), have a go at the cli manager(s) that may live
on your distro and see if you can get pkg info about it. If you're not
sure which one(s) you have, try these - Yum, Dnf, Rpm,Apt, Apt-Get, Deb,
pacman, dpkg, and zypper for starters. *dpkg is my go-to pkgmgr of choice...

Also, the names of many linux-centric utility plugins, extensions, and
other goodies, while seemingly cryptic, are usually a prominent clue as
to what the package is used for. The world of *NIX has never been for
the faint of heart, but there are lots of very helping hands in its
communities... :)

Jack