What to use instead of nntplib?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue May 16 11:14:37 EDT 2023

On 2023-05-16, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> Grizzy Adams <RealGrizzlyAdams at vivaldi.net> wrote:
>> Tuesday, May 16, 2023  at 9:26, Alan Gauld wrote:
>> Re: What to use instead of nntplib? (at least in part)

>> >I'm curious as to why nntplib is deprecated? Surely there are still a
>> >lot of nntp servers around
>>
>> there must be this list is mirrored on one, and AFAICS some pythoners use that
>> way to post (over the list)
>
> Yes, me for one, a good newsreader is really a wonderful way to manage
> technical 'lists' like this one.

IMO, there's nothing better. Newsreaders were designed from the
beginning to deal with the sort of traffic and usage patterns seen in
mailing lists. Using an MUA (even combined with something like
procmail) and folders/labels is just a pale imitation of a good
newsreader.

> Usenet news is still very much alive though a minority interest now
> I suspect.

This list's decision to stop accepting postings via news.gmane.io is
what prompted me to write my own "inews" application in Python that
uses SMTP for some groups and NNTP for others when I "post" via slrn.

I probably use NNTP more to access mailing lists via gmane than I use
it for accessing the "real" Usenet groups.

NNTP is not just for Usenet...