PythonPath / sys.path

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun May 14 19:28:26 EDT 2023

On Mon, 15 May 2023 at 09:22, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:
> You made a little slam against Windows, but you will find it harder to
> get things working on Linux.  Ubuntu, like many other Linux distros,
> does not come with pip and Tk (needed for Idle) installed, and it's not
> so obvious how to install them.

The assumption on Linux is usually that you know how to use your
system's package manager. And on Debian and Ubuntu specifically, it's
about as easy as you would want: "apt install idle". That'll pull in
everything you should need. I don't know about other distros but I
would expect that it's approximately as easy.

Maybe that's not obvious if you come from Windows, but I'd guess that
most desktop Linux users will have at least a passing familiarity with
their package manager, making this a perfectly obvious way to get new
software.

ChrisA