Do subprocess.PIPE and subprocess.STDOUT sametime

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed May 10 14:51:02 EDT 2023

Horst Koiner wrote at 2023-5-9 11:13 -0700:
>For production i run the program with stdout=subprocess.PIPE and i can fetch than the output later. For just testing if the program works, i run with stdout=subprocess.STDOUT and I see all program output on the console, but my program afterwards crashes since there is nothing captured in the python variable. So I think I need to have the functionality of subprocess.PIPE and subprcess.STDOUT sametime.

You might want to implement the functionality of the *nix programm
`tee` in Python.
`tee` reads from one file and writes the data to several files,
i.e. it multiplexes one input file to several output files.

Pyhton's `tee` would likely be implemented by a separate thread.

For your case, the input file could be the subprocess's pipe
and the output files `sys.stdout` and a pipe created by your own
used by your application in place of the subprocess's pipe.