Python not showing correct version

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Thu Mar 30 13:23:34 EDT 2023

On 3/30/2023 10:17 AM, Sumeet Firodia wrote:

>> Hi Team,
>>
>> I have installed Python 3.8 for Snowpark but when I check the version in
>> command prompt it shows me Python 3.10.10.
>>
>> C:\Users\admin>python --version
>> Python 3.10.10
>>
>> Also when I try to uninstall 3.10 it says no such version is installed.
>>
>> C:\Users\admin>pip uninstall python 3.10.10
>> WARNING: Skipping python as it is not installed.
>> WARNING: Skipping 3.10.10 as it is not installed.
>>
>> Can you please help me here as my snowpark assignment is stuck because of
>> this issue.

You cannot uninstall Python using pip.  It was not installed using it.

You probably should not uninstall Python 3.10.10. There are two
possibilities:

1. The Snowpack programs will work with Python 3.10.  Just run them with
"python". This is likely. I notice that its location is unusual, and I
wonder how and why it got installed there.

2. For some reason, you have to use the Python 3.8 installation. Either
find out where it is located on your system, and create a batch file to
run it - you could name it "py38" and type "py38" instead of "python".
Or you may be able to use the "py" launcher.  It will be there if Python
was installed using the ordinary Python installer from python.org.  You
would type "py -38" instead of "python".