built-in pow() vs. math.pow()

Andreas Eisele andreas.eisele at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 05:15:51 EDT 2023

I sometimes make use of the fact that the built-in pow() function has an optional third argument for modulo calculation, which is handy when dealing with tasks from number theory, very large numbers, problems from Project Euler, etc. I was unpleasantly surprised that math.pow() does not have this feature, hence "from math import *" overwrites the built-in pow() function with a function that lacks functionality. I am wondering for the rationale of this. Does math.pow() do anything that the built-in version can not do, and if not, why is it even there?
Thanks in advance for any enlightening comment on this.
Best regards, Andreas