Standard class for time *period*?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 12:49:32 EDT 2023

On 2023-03-28, Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> wrote:
> On 3/28/2023 12:13 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2023-03-28, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So far, you seem to be the only person who has ever asked for a
>>> single entity incorporating an EPOCH (datetime.datetime) + a
>>> DURATION (datetime.timedelta).
>>
>> It seems to me that tuple of two timdate objects (start,end) is the
>> more obvious representation, but it's six of one and a horse of the
>> same color.
>>
>> If one really needs it to be a class, then it woulnd't be much more
>> than a dozen or two lines of code...
>
> I think it would be more than that.  The OP said

You're right. I had forgotten about a few of the operations mentioned,
so it might take a bit more than a couple dozen line, but not _that_
much more. The hard part would be defining those operations, and as
the OP says, it doesn't seem to me like there is an obvious definition
for many of them.

If there's no obvious common definition for what a class is supposed
to do, then there can't really be a standard one...

--
Grant