Standard class for time *period*?

Loris Bennett loris.bennett at fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 28 02:14:55 EDT 2023

Thomas Passin <list1 at tompassin.net> writes:

> On 3/27/2023 11:34 AM, rbowman wrote:
>> On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:00:52 +0200, Loris Bennett wrote:
>>
>>>    I need to deal with what I call a 'period', which is a span of time
>>>    limited by two dates, start and end.  The period has a 'duration',
>>>    which is the elapsed time between start and end.  The duration is
>>>    essentially a number of seconds, but in my context, because the
>>>    durations are usually hours or days, I would generally want to display
>>>    the duration in a format such as "dd-hh:mm:ss"
>> https://www.programiz.com/python-programming/datetime
>> Scroll down to timedelta. If '14 days, 13:55:39' isn't good enough
>> you'll
>> have to format it yourself.
>
> I second this.  timedelta should give the OP exactly what he's talking
> about.

No, it doesn't.  I already know about timedelta.  I must have explained
the issue badly, because everyone seems to be fixating on the
formatting, which is not a problem and is incidental to what I am really
interested in, namely:

1. Is there a standard class for a 'period', i.e. length of time
   specified by a start point and an end point?  The start and end
   points could obviously be datetimes and the difference a timedelta,
   but the period '2022-03-01 00:00 to 2022-03-02 00:00' would be
   different to '2023-03-01 00:00 to 2023-03-02 00:00' even if the
   *duration* of both periods is the same.

2. If such a standard class doesn't exist, why does it not exist?

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.