Numpy, Matplotlib crash Python 3.8 Windows 7, 32-bit - can you help ?

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Sat Mar 18 15:01:03 EDT 2023

On 3/17/2023 11:32 AM, a a wrote:
> On Friday, 17 March 2023 at 16:03:14 UTC+1, Thomas Passin wrote:

>> It would be worth trying to downgrade the multiarray version to an
>> earlier one and see if that fixes the problem.
>
> Thank you Thomas for your kind reply.
>
> I am fully aware to be living on an old machine, old OS, Windows 7,
> 32-bit system but I have visited every social chat support forum on
> the Internet: from Python to Matplotlib, Numpy, Twitter, Github.
I mentioned the "multiarray" just because of its name in the error message:

"Error module name: _multiarray_umath.cp38-win32.pyd "

I assumed that the code you tried to run required an import from a
module or package whose name included "multiarray".  But I didn't try to
actually look for one.  Now I've checked, and I see it's included with
NumPy.

> I simply tried to test Python code from
>

> https://www.section.io/engineering-education/reading-and-processing-android-sensor-data-using-python-with-csv-read/
>
>  ==== # Python program to read .csv file
>
> import numpy as np import matplotlib.pyplot as plt import csv ----
>
> "After importing the libraries, we now read the .csv file:
>
> with open('accl1.csv', 'r') as f: data = list(csv.reader(f,
> delimiter=',')) #reading csv file

You don't need numpy just to do this import, so you could remove the
numpy import just to test reading the csv file.  But I imagine you do
need numpy for later steps.

> As a newbie I am not aware how to downgrade "the multiarray version
> to an earlier one.
I just had to do this myself to work around a change in an import that
broke one of my programs (not a numpy import).  If you can identify an
earlier version that work - we will use proglib v 3.72 as an example -
with pip you would use

python3 -m pip install --upgrade proglib<=3.72

To get exactly version 3.72, you would use "==3.72".

NOTE - no space allowed before the first "=" character!.
NOTE - you may need to type "python" or "py" instead of "python3".  Just
use the one that runs the version of Python that you want to run.

To find which versions are available:

python3 -m pip install --upgrade proglib==

To find out which version you have installed on your computer:

python3 -m pip show numpy

After you downgrade to an earlier version, you can test it just by
trying to import numpy.  In an interpreter session, just try to import it:

 >>> import numpy

If that succeeds, chances are you will be all set.

> ==== Just read about AVE from Wikipedia
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

I have read that there are other instruction set extensions that could
be missing besides AVE, that could cause that exception code.  The fact
that you have a relatively old computer suggests that could be the problem.