Fwd: Friday finking: IDE 'macro expansions'

Alan Gauld learn2program at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 04:46:42 EDT 2023

On 17/03/2023 17:55, Thomas Passin wrote:

>> I used Delphi and Smalltalk/V which both pretty much only exist within
>> their own IDEs and I used their features extensively.
>
> Back when Delphi first came out, when I first used it, I don't remember
> any IDE; one just used a text editor.

I think you might be meaning TurboPascal, Delphi's forerunner. It just
had a compiler and text editor. But Delphi from day 1 was an IDE
designed to compete with Visual Basic. Everything was geared around the
GUI builder. You could write code outside the IDE but it was orders of
magnitude more difficult.

The Lazarus open source project is based on Delphi's IDE.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site