Can you process seismographic signals in Python or should I switch to Matlab ?

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Sun Mar 12 00:02:11 EST 2023

On 3/11/2023 6:54 PM, a a wrote:
> My project
> https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/loma-prieta-earthquake.html

If your goal is to step through this Matlab example, then clearly you
should use Matlab. If you do not have access to Matlab or cannot afford
it, then you would have to use something else, and Python would be a
prime candidate.  However, each of the techniques and graphs in the
lesson have been pre-packaged for you in the Matlab case but not with
Python (many other case studies on various topics that use Python Python
can be found, though).

Everything in the Matlab analysis can be done with Python and associated
libraries.  You would have to learn various processing and graphing
techniques.  You would also have to get the data from somewhere.  It's
prepackaged for this analysis and you would have to figure out where to
get it.  There is at least one Python package that can read and convert
Matlab files - I do not remember its name, though.

A more important question is whether doing the Matlab example prepares
you to do any other analyses on your own. To shed some light on this,
here is a post on some rather more advanced analysis using data on the
same earthquake, done with Python tools -

https://towardsdatascience.com/earthquake-time-series-forecasts-using-a-hybrid-clustering-lstm-approach-part-i-eda-6797b22aed8c