Baffled by readline module

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 19:02:52 EST 2023

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 at 10:51, <2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com> wrote:

> On 2023-03-09 at 15:02:53 -0800,
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yeesh. What's _really_ embarassing is that I just stumbled across a
> > small test program with which I had apparently figured this out 10-12
> > years ago.  Must be about time to retire...
>
> Retiring doesn't help.  :-)
>
> I retired almost five years ago, and I just (within the past few days)
> (re)discovered a command line parsing library I'd written about a year
> and a half ago (i.e., after I retired).

Traditional retirement: Work till you're 60 or 65 or whatever, then
society pats you on the head, calls you a "senior citizen", and lets
you go and be idle till you die (which might be prematurely soon).

Direction-change retirement: Work till you can afford to zero out your
income, then finally do what you've always wanted to do, but never had
time because you spent so much of it earning money.

Tell-the-next-generation: Work till you know so much that you're
infinitely valuable, then spend the rest of your life empowering the
next group of amazing people. See for instance: NASA.

Programmer retirement: At an early age, learn how to wield PHENOMENAL
COSMIC POWER, and spend the next X years in an itty bitty working
space, earning money. Eventually, upgrade to better living/working
space. Eventually, downgrade to a small wooden box six feet below the
ground. Never once relinquish the power. Never once abandon that
feeling of mastery.

We're not really an industry that has a concept of retirement.

ChrisA