Baffled by readline module

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 17:14:13 EST 2023

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 at 09:01, Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> wrote:
> I think this might be the common case of a module which wraps another
> library: there's a tension between describing everything in pointless
> detail and the trite "we're just shimming this library, go read its
> docs".

Yeah, it's a combination of this...

> >You call the input() built-in.
>
> Ah. That's not overtly stated? [...reads...] Ah, there it is in the last
> sentence of the opening paragraph. Not quite as in-your-face as I'd have
> liked it. That paragraph could do with being a bullet list of use cases.

... and this. With a lot of "just wrap that library" functions, it can
be exactly as you say: a bit of documentation about each function, and
you can skim those to see what's available. But with readline, there
isn't a "give me a command from the user" function, because that's
input().

Maybe there should be an example added at the end?

ChrisA