Fast full-text searching in Python (job for Whoosh?)

Dino dino at no.spam.ar
Wed Mar 8 09:40:51 EST 2023

On 3/7/2023 2:02 PM, avi.e.gross at gmail.com wrote:
> Some of the discussions here leave me confused as the info we think we got
> early does not last long intact and often morphs into something else and we
> find much of the discussion is misdirected or wasted.

Apologies. I'm the OP and also the OS (original sinner). My "mistake"
was to go for a "stream of consciousness" kind of question, rather than
a well researched and thought out one.

You are correct, Avi. I have a simple web UI, I came across the Whoosh
video and got infatuated with the idea that Whoosh could be used for
create a autofill function, as my backend is already Python/Flask. As
many have observed and as I have also quickly realized, Whoosh was
overkill for my use case. In the meantime people started asking
questions, I responded and, before you know it, we are all discussing
the intricacies of JavaScript web development in a Python forum. Should
I have stopped them? How?

One thing is for sure: I am really grateful that so many used so much of
their time to help.

A big thank you to each of you, friends.

Dino