Winodws10 Command Prompt unresponsive to .py commands

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Wed Mar 8 00:29:11 EST 2023

On 3/7/2023 2:31 PM, Thomas Gregg wrote:
> Hi,  I got python 11 to work with the esptool a few days ago.  However, I
> must have something wrong, because now, when I enter any command with .py,
> Windows Command Prompt just returns without doing anything.  Example
>
> C:\Users\gregg>esptool.py version
>
> C:\Users\gregg>
>
> I tried to change the Windows default by filetype. but no luck.  Any
> ideas?  Thanks

Never mind file associations for now.  Just run it with Python (that is,
the python executable program) -

python esptool.py

Notes:
1.  If esptool is not in the current directory then use the full path to it.
2. Use the right name (instead of just "python") to launch your desired
version of Python.  On a standard Windows installation it will probably
be "py" (without the quotes), or "python3.11" or "py -3.11".  But it
might possibly be just "python".  You will have to try it to see.

If you ever do decide you want to run Python programs using file
associations, you can read up on how to get them working.

Probably the easiest way to get a file association set up is to open the
File Explorer and navigate to some directory that has a .py file.  Right
click on that file and choose OpenWith.  Then click on "Choose another
app".  This will open a dialog that will let you navigate to your Python
executable program and assign it to run all .py files.

I don't really recommend setting up and depending on a file association,
though.  That's because it can be a problem if and when you end up with
more than one version of Python on your computer.  Sometimes you want to
use one version to run a Python file, sometimes another. It's hard to
make that work if you run them using file associations.

Also if anything goes wrong, you probably will not see the error messages.