Fast full-text searching in Python (job for Whoosh?)

David Lowry-Duda david at lowryduda.com
Tue Mar 7 13:28:52 EST 2023

On 22:43 Sat 04 Mar 2023, Dino wrote:
>How can I implement this? A library called Whoosh seems very promising
>(albeit it's so feature-rich that it's almost like shooting a fly with
>a bazooka in my case), but I see two problems:
>
> 1) Whoosh is either abandoned or the project is a mess in terms of
>community and support
>(https://groups.google.com/g/whoosh/c/QM_P8cGi4v4 ) and
>
> 2) Whoosh seems to be a Python only thing, which is great for now,
>but I wouldn't want this to become an obstacle should I need port it to
>a different language at some point.

As others have noted, it sounds like relatively straightforward
implementations will be sufficient.

But I'll note that I use whoosh from time to time and I find it stable
and pleasant to work with. It's true that development stopped, but it
stopped in a very stable place. I don't recommend using whoosh here, but
I would recommend experimenting with it more generally.

- DLD