Python 2.7 range Function provokes a Memory Error

Stephen Tucker stephen_tucker at sil.org
Tue Mar 7 00:51:57 EST 2023

Hi again,

I tried xrange, but I got an error telling me that my integer was too big
for a C long.

Clearly, xrange in Py2 is not capable of dealing with Python (that is,
possibly very long) integers.

I am raising this because,

(a) IF xrange in Py3 is a simple "port" from Py2, then it won't handle
Python integers either.

AND

(b) IF xrange in Py3 is intended to be equivalent to range (which, even in
Py2, does handle Python integers)

THEN

It could be argued that xrange in Py3 needs some attention from the
developer(s).

Stephen Tucker.