Fast full-text searching in Python (job for Whoosh?)

rbowman bowman at montana.com
Mon Mar 6 23:05:19 EST 2023

On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 21:55:37 -0500, Dino wrote:

> ne issue that was also correctly foreseen by some is that there's going
> to be a new request at every user key stroke. Known problem. JavaScript
> programmers use a trick called "debounceing" to be reasonably sure that
> the user is done typing before a request is issued:
>
> https://schier.co/blog/wait-for-user-to-stop-typing-using-javascript

That could be annoying. My use case is address entry. When the user types

102 ma

the suggestions might be

main
manson
maple
massachusetts
masten

in a simple case. When they enter 's' it's narrowed down. Typically I'm
only dealing with a city or county so the data to be searched isn't huge.
The maps.google.com address search covers the world and they're also
throwing in a geographical constraint so the suggestions are applicable to
the area you're viewing.  It must be nice to have a server or two...