Cryptic software announcements (was: ANN: DIPY 1.6.0)

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sun Mar 5 10:53:10 EST 2023

On 3/1/23 04:57, Rob Cliffe via Python-list wrote:

>> I think it would be a good idea if software announcements would include
>> a single paragraph (or maybe just a single sentence) summarizing what
>> the software is and does.
>>
>>          hp
>>

> +1
> Rob Cliffe

Excellent adivce - and many of the announcements on the separate
python-announce list do actually follow this model (and this is probably
actually the right place to send announcements).

I'd even extend the suggestion further - it's surprising how many
newcomers ask questions about a particular package that many people have
not heard of - it all seems so obvious when you have an assignment, but
when there are over 400,000 packages on PyPI it should actually not be
surprising that a few of us have not actually heard of all of them :-)
Maybe give a bit more context...