Python 3.10 Fizzbuzz

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Wed Mar 1 06:47:32 EST 2023

On 2023-03-01, Simon Ward <simon+python at bleah.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2023 at 04:05:19PM -0500, avi.e.gross at gmail.com wrote:
>>Is it rude to name something "black" to make it hard for some of us to
>>remind them of the rules or claim that our personal style is so often
>>the opposite that it should be called "white" or at least shade of
>>gray?
>>
>>The usual kidding aside, I have no idea what it was called black but in
>>all seriousness this is not a black and white issue. Opinions may
>>differ when a language provides many valid options on how to write
>>code. If someone wants to standardize and impose some decisions, fine.
>>But other may choose their own variant and take their chances.
>
> https://pypi.org/project/grey/
> https://pypi.org/project/white/
> https://pypi.org/project/blue/
> https://pypi.org/project/oitnb/
>
>:o
>
> It amuses me that opinionated formatter, with very little
> configurability by design, in the face of differing opinions just
> results in forks or wrappers that modify the behaviours that might
> otherwise have been configuration options.

The mysterious bit is that two of the above projects do nothing except
change the default of the one configuration option that *does* exist
(line length). I mean, "black"'s line-length choice of 88 is insane,
but I don't see the point of creating new pypi projects that do nothing
except run another project with a single option set!