How to add CC and BCC while sending mails using python

Roel Schroeven roel at roelschroeven.net
Tue Jun 20 15:16:03 EDT 2023

sonam Kumari via Python-list schreef op 20/06/2023 om 9:49:

> > I've tried the above code and the bcc address does not receive the message, on the To & CC addresses receive it.
> >
> > Here are snippets from my code, perhaps something will stand out to you?
> >
> > to = 'e... at domain.gov'
> > cc = 'e... at gmailmail.com'
> > bcc = 'e... at home.net'
> > msg = MIMEMultipart()
> > msg['To'] = to
> > msg['Cc'] = cc
> > msg['Subject'] = 'My Subject text here'
> > msg['From'] = 'eds... at domain.gov'
> >
> > smtp = SMTP("smtpserver")
> > smtp.ehlo()
> > smtp.sendmail(msg['From'], [to, cc, bcc], msg.as_string())
> >
> > Thanks in advance..hope you're still out there!!
> > ~Ed
>

> I tried this but my mail gets sent only in to but not in cc. Can anyone help?
That looks like it should work. In fact I typed in your code, with some
email addresses of mine and another smtp server, and it does work.
That's to say, I can see in the logs of my smtp server that three mails
are sent out, and I see the mails arriving at the to-address and the
cc-address. The bcc-addres doesn't seem to receive the mail reliably:
sometimes not at all, sometimes in the spam folder. It looks like mail
systems don't like bcc very much. As far as I can see the code is
correct, and there is a good chance the problem is caused by a mail
server not accepting one or more of the messages for some reason.

I added some content to the mail, and that seemed to work better.

So, some suggestions:

- Do you have access to the smtp server to check its logs and see what
is sent, what is not sent, and any possible error messages?
- Try adding some content to the email, something which looks nothing
like spam.

--
"Met een spitsvondig citaat bewijs je niets."
         -- Voltaire