Compiling python on windows with vs

Eryk Sun eryksun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 10:28:21 EDT 2023

On 6/15/23, Thomas Schweikle via Python-list <python-list at python.org> wrote:

> In this case: not sure what is going on.

Possibly you have a setting configured that affects the behavior of
Git via the MinGW-w64 runtime, such that calling mkdir() ends up
calling NtSetInformationFile() to set the FileCaseSensitiveInformation
for the directory.

Does the mkdir command in Git bash create a case-sensitive directory?
It doesn't for me. I have to manually enable case sensitivity via
`chattr +C`.

What do you get for `which git` and `git --version`?

    $ which git
    /mingw64/bin/git

    $ git --version
    git version 2.41.0.windows.1

> $ fsutil file queryCaseSensitiveInfo .

The MSYS2 environment includes lsattr and chattr commands, with the
case-sensitive flag mapped to "C". It's probably more convenient than
typing `fsutil file queryCaseSensitiveInfo` or `fsutil file
setCaseSensitiveInfo`.

    $ lsattr -d test
    ------------ test
    $ chattr +C test
    $ lsattr -d test

> core.ignorecase is not regarded in any way. It does not mater if it is
> set or not.

Git tests the case-sensitivity of the target directory to configure
core.ignorecase when cloning a repo. If it's case insensitive, then
core.ignorecase is enabled. This overrides the global value. AFAIK,
the ignorecase setting is unrelated to actually setting the case
sensitivity of created directories; it just affects how Git behaves on
a case-insensitive filesystem.