Assistance Request - Issue with Installing 'pip' despite Python 3.10 Installation

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Wed Jun 7 12:36:22 EDT 2023

On 6/7/23 10:08, MRAB via Python-list wrote:
> On 2023-06-07 15:54, Florian Guilbault via Python-list wrote:
>> Dear Python Technical Team,
>>
>> I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to you today to seek
>> assistance with an issue I am facing regarding the installation of 'pip'
>> despite my numerous attempts to resolve the problem.
>>
>> Recently, I performed installation, uninstallation, and even repair
>> operations on Python 3.10 on my computer. However, I have noticed that
>> 'pip' has never been installed successfully. When I check via the command
>> prompt, I receive the following error: "'pip' is not recognized as an
>> internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."
>>
>> I have tried several approaches to resolve this issue. I have verified
>> that
>> the PATH environment variable is correctly configured to include the path
>> to the Python Scripts directory.

I'm assuming you checked - say, with Explorer - that pip.exe really is
where you think it is?
Anyway,  if you ask a Windows shell (cmd) to locate it, and it doesn't,
then your PATH is not set up correctly after all.

where pip

should give you back a path that ends witn ...\Scripts\pip.exe

That said, the suggestions already given are on point.  Running pip as a
module (rather than as a standalone command) assures that it's
associated with the Python you want it associated with.  In today's
world, a lot of developer systems end up with multiple Python
installations (*), and you don't want to use a pip that is bound to the
wrong one, or the next email will be "I installed foo module but my
Python fails to import it".

(*) You can have different Python versions for compat checking, you can
have project-specific virtualenvs, you can have Pythons that come
bundled with a subsystem like Conda, etc.