evaluation question

dn PythonList at DancesWithMice.info
Tue Jan 31 19:17:33 EST 2023

On 01/02/2023 11.59, Greg Ewing wrote:
> On 31/01/23 10:24 pm, Muttley at dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> All languages have their ugly corners due to initial design mistakes
>> and/or
>> constraints. Eg: java with the special behaviour of its string class, C++
>> with "=0" pure virtual declaration. But they don't dump them and make
>> all old
>> code suddenly cease to execute.
>
> No, but it was decided that Python 3 would have to be backwards
> incompatible, mainly to sort out the Unicode mess. Given that,
> the opportunity was taken to clean up some other mistakes as well.

+1
and the move to Unicode has opened-up the Python community beyond the
US, to embrace 'the world' - a proposition (still) not well-recognised
by (only) English-speakers/writers/readers.

Even though the proposition has a troll-bait smell to it:-

1 nothing "ceased to execute" and Python 2 was maintained and developed
for quite some time and in-parallel to many Python 3 releases.

2 the only constant in this business is 'change'. I'd rather cope with
an evolution in this language (which we know and love), than one day
realise that it has become dated or inflexible, and have to learn a new,
replacement, language!

--
Regards,
=dn